Advanced BioImaging Facility (ABIF)
Position: Microscopy Specialist
Title: Laboratory Technician
Level: 09. 25 hours per week, $22.61 – $31.23/hour (depending on experience) plus generous benefits package
Sub Group: MUNACA
Job Summary: Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, participates in the execution of laboratory projects and experiments. Trains facility users in a variety of specialized technical tasks according to established training protocols. Prepares materials and equipment. Compiles data. Demonstrates techniques. Maintains equipment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the execution of laboratory projects and experiments. Performs a variety of specialized technical tasks according to established methodology in tissue culture and light microscopy.
- Prepares and sets up materials and equipment. Performs a variety of assays, analyses and tests such as tissue culture, developing imaging protocols, instrument maintenance and quality control.
- Records results, performs calculations and compiles data. Maintains records and files.
- Demonstrates the operation of apparatus or techniques.
- Maintains equipment and performs minor repairs. Arranges for servicing.
- Ensures the cleanliness and safety of the work area.
- Maintains inventory. Purchases equipment and materials.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
- Uses a variety of equipment such as wide field microscopes, confocal microscopes, TIRF microscopes, tissue culture facilities, incubators., computers and audio-visual equipment.
- The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Minimum Education and Experience:
One (1) years related experience
Send a cover letter and CV to
Claire M Brown, ABIF Director
Department of Physiology, McGill University
The position will be open until filled. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.