The Advanced BioImaging Facility (ABIF) at McGill University in Montreal, Canada is looking for a candidate to fill the position of Microscopy Specialist.
With a strong focus on interdisciplinary work, the position will involve addressing research questions from diverse fields such as cell biology, cancer biology, biophysics, neuroscience and cellular biomechanics. McGill is ranked among the finest research-intensive universities in the world. The ABIF of McGill University has technical capabilities for live cell imaging, total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF) microscopy, light sheet imaging, fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM), multi-photon microscopy, laser micro-dissection, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS), image processing and analysis, spectral imaging and high content screening.
The ABIF has developed and run more than 80 workshops and courses, in collaboration with academia and industries, including the bi-annual Montreal Light Microscopy Course (MLMC). More information about the ABIF can be found at: http://www.mcgill.ca/abif
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consultation: Work with researchers to determine appropriate equipment for experiments and to develop experimental designs to address specific research questions. Including consultation on preparing images and data for presentations and publications and the collection of preliminary data for grant applications.
- Training: Perform basic training for users on routine and advanced microscopy platforms. Develop and modify standard protocols for training sessions.
- Maintenance: Execute regular maintenance of the facility equipment. Develop and modify maintenance protocols on an ongoing basis. Interpret quality control information and initiate repairs if necessary. Document all equipment service.
- Policies and Procedures: Ensure all facility users adhere to facility policies and procedures. Ensure appropriate access to equipment for all facility users.
- Education: The microscopy specialist must be able to educate facility users in the fundamentals of microscopy relevant for facility users. This includes participation in and implementation of workshops, tutorials and courses.
- Corporate Relations: Contribute to and build on corporate relationships with vendors in the field. Develop and maintain good working relationships with companies.
- Outreach: Perform regular updates of the facility website. Organize and advertise workshops and seminars internally and externally to McGill University.
- Administration and Finance: Generate reports and do basic financial transactions.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this description.
Specific Education and Experience Required:
- MSc or PhD in preferred areas including Biophysics, Cell Biology, Cancer Biology, Bioengineering.
- One to five years of relevant experience.
- Understanding and hands-on experience in optical microscopy and imaging instruments.
- Familiarity with advanced light microscopy technologies.
- Experience working in a dynamic environment. Must be able to manage a diverse set of obligations on a daily basis with rapidly changing demands and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills for working with facility users, principle investigators and potential new clients within the research community.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to people new to the field.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently but also work well as a part of a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English.
The initial appointment is 1-year. There is potential to renew for additional years.
Starting salary will depend on experience.
How to Apply:
Candidates should send a cover letter indicating their scientific expertise and career goals, their curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references to:
Director, Advanced BioImaging Facility (ABIF) Associate Professor, Physiology McGill University email@example.com