The National Centre for Cellular Imaging (CCI) at the University of Gothenburg, is one of the leading academic imaging facilities in Sweden providing expertise and access to advanced microscopy to the research community, both locally and at other Swedish universities and abroad.
The CCI offers high-end microscopy techniques for researchers in the various fields of life science, but also chemistry, physics, material science. The equipment includes several laser scanning (confocal and multiphoton) microscopes, a large number of other fluorescent microscopes, laser microdissection microscope, super-resolution microscopes, as well as a scanning and a transmission electron microscope. The scientific staff at the CCI assists researchers in the experimental designing and planning of microscopy experiments and provides the in-depth training for the operation of the microscopes and for specific imaging techniques. Additionally, support is provided in the processing, rendering and analysis of the acquired datasets.
We are now looking for an experienced scientific officer in advanced Electron microscopy (EM) and its various applications in life science. The position will involve direct participation in the research projects by performing ultrastructural analysis on various biological specimens including cultured yeast, bacteria, insect and mammalian cells as well as model organisms such as flies, nematodes, fish and rodents.
The main tasks for the post holder will include sample preparation (fixation methods, resin embedding, sectioning) imaging (transmission and scanning EM, serial TEM and TEM tomography), advanced molecular mapping techniques (immuno-EM and correlative light and electron microscopy -CLEM), training, maintenance and operations in electron microscopy.
You will work with:
1) Educating and training of core facility users in to select and apply the appropriate electron microscopy techniques, handling of a wide range of biological specimens and experimental approaches;
2) Managing and optimizing the different EM sample preparation workflows, including full cell/tissue processing (chemically and by cryo), sectioning (plastic embedded) and cryo-sectioning. The post holder will also be responsible for
3) Operation and maintenance of equipment for the EM sample preparation, including cryo-equipment (high pressure freezing, plunge freezing);
4) Giving advice on the design of imaging experiments in order to optimize output and research activities;
5) Contributing to the implementation of new innovative EM methods in order to meet with the users’ needs and also participate in the teaching of users and PhD students.
We are seeking for an ambitious and service-oriented team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. The candidate should be able to work both independently and as part of the CCI team, and enjoy working in an international and highly collaborative and multidisciplinary scientific environment. The suitable candidate should hold a University degree (PhD) in Medicine, Biology or Chemistry, with at least 8 years of research experience in electron microscopy for life sciences. Prior experience of working in a microscopy facility is a plus.
Experience in EM preparation techniques, for example high-pressure freezing, freeze substitution, plunge freezing and CLEM is also considered as additional merits. Additional skills in sample preparation for cryo-EM and negative staining would be an advantage. The candidate should be willing to expand his/her knowledge in new microscopy techniques and be ready to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment. Ability to manage workload and structure the work with short timelines, with good communication in English and organisational skills are essential. We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a research background who combines technical expertise with strong communication skills, who has a strong will to aid other researcher in their work, but also the motivation to work independently.
Closing date 29 March 2019.
For additional information please check the job offer.