Staff member for light microscopy and optics development, ScopeM, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
The Scientific Center for Optical and Electron Microscopy (ScopeM) is a central scientific technology platform providing resources and expertise in light, electron and ion microscopy (and related areas). As of May 1st, 2023, or upon agreement, we have an opening for a position as a staff scientist for light microscopy and optics development.
This key position is foreseen initially as a two-year employment with the expectation to convert it to a time-unlimited contract upon mutual agreement.
As a member of the light microscopy team, you will provide service and support to ScopeM users on various microscope systems and adapt/modify those according to their needs.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Adapt and modify existing microscopy systems to the needs of the users (optics/hardware, possibly software).
- Participating in the organization and teaching of light-microscopy-related courses
- Support users with their imaging applications in the field of physics, material science, Raman spectroscopy etc.
- Staying up to date with the latest developments in microscopy and related technologies
We are looking for an enthusiastic personality with great team spirit and a positive, service-oriented doer attitude as well as the will and taste to collaborate with others on their projects within a microscopy core facility.
We expect you to fulfil the following requirements:
- PhD and/or master’s degree in physics, engineering or related areas
- Expertise in optics/instrument design and construction
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary environment and familiarity with experimental sciences and microscopy. Ability to work in teams while managing multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of technical autonomy.
- Good communication skills in written and spoken English
Practical experience in the below domains would be advantageous:
- Software development skills (Python, Matlab, LabView, Java)
- Microscopy automation and/or smart microscopy expertise
- Previous experience in a core facility
- Knowledge of other microscopy techniques (electron microscopy, X-ray microscopy)
- Experience with live-science projects
For additional information please check the job offer.
Closing date 30 April 2023