Postdoctoral Associate – image analysis CellProfiler, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge, MA
Postdoctoral Associate – image analysis
CellProfiler open-source software
Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge, MA
Join our close-knit team at the Imaging Platform (a.k.a. Carpenter laboratory)
at a vibrant, world-class, non-profit biomedical research center, the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT!
This is an opportunity to make important contributions through many different individual projects as well as by supporting thousands of researchers around the world who are accomplishing great things with our lab’s open-source software, CellProfiler. CellProfiler is launched 130,000+ times per year around the world by scientists quantifying biological processes in images. Cited in more than 3,400 scientific papers, it has led to potential therapeutics related to the Ebola virus, tuberculosis, AMKL, leukemic stem cells, and CCM.
– Deep impact, on important biomedical research projects: Develop image analysis pipelines using CellProfiler, working in-depth with brilliant biomedical researchers to push forward the boundaries of what can be extracted from high-throughput imaging experiments. We collaborate with dozens of biomedical research laboratories to identify disease states, potential therapeutics, and gene functions from microscopy images. This position will involve developing multiple collaborations in imaging flow cytometry analysis.
– Broad impact, supporting the CellProfiler community: Support thousands of CellProfiler users worldwide by answering questions at our popular online forum. Deliver educational workshops on image analysis and the usage of CellProfiler (including traveling 5+ days/year).
- Ph.D. in biology or computational science
- Strong understanding of biology
- Significant experience using image processing software on biological assays
- A personality that is helpful, professional, highly organized, and goal-oriented, efficiently juggling projects and competing demands
- Able to clearly communicate with biology collaborators about project aims and results, and with software engineers on the team about image processing and software needs
Preferred but not required: CellProfiler expertise, programming experience (Python – though we are not looking for a computer scientist to develop novel computational algorithms from scratch), and experience with Linux environments, databases, computing clusters, and bioinformatics/statistics tools (e.g., R).
About us: Our lab’s mission is to uncover biological knowledge by developing advanced methods to quantify and mine the rich information present in images. We love working as a team towards scientific goals: discovering the inner workings of biological systems and influencing patient treatment. We love making open-source software that impacts the world. We are conscientious and enjoy a professional environment.
To apply: Please send CV and letter describing interests to anne(at)broadinstitute.org