The National Centre for Cellular Imaging (CCI) at the Core Facilities, University of Gothenburg, is one of the leading academic imaging facilities in Sweden providing expertise and access to advanced microscopy to the research community, both locally and at other Swedish universities and abroad.
The CCI offers high-end microscopy techniques for researchers in the various fields of life science, but also chemistry, physics, material science. The equipment includes several laser scanning (confocal and multiphoton) microscopes, laser microdissection microscope, super-resolution microscopes, as well as a scanning and two transmission electron microscopes, including a Leo 912 Omega system, and a Talos 120C equipped with Ceta detector (XYZ) and with Cryogenic Electron Microscopy (cryo-EM) capabilities focused on single-particle screening. The cryo-EM sample preparation equipment includes a Vitrobot, an Emitec X100 glow charge and a Quorum carbon coater Q150T as well as high pressure freezing system. The scientific staff at the CCI assists researchers in the experimental designing and planning of microscopy experiments and provides the in-depth training for the operation of the microscopes, sample preparation and for specific imaging techniques. Additionally, support is provided in the processing, rendering and analysis of the acquired datasets.
The CCI is now looking for an Expert in cryo-electron microscopy and structural biology with extensive experience in high resolution single-particle reconstruction, including sample optimisation, grid preparation and screening, data collection, the use of modern software for particle picking and classification, map generation, model building, structure validation and also in crystallography. The post holder will become an integral part of the CCI team, bringing knowledge and expertise in structural biology and cryo-EM to complement the Facility’s existing room-temperature transmission and scanning electron microscopy, and advanced light microscopy skill-set. Duties will involve both routine methods and developing of new methods from single-particle cryo-EM and applying them to a diverse range of research projects, day-to-day maintenance and operation of the instruments, sample preparation and data analysis. Activities may also include supporting other electron microscopy applications such as standard biological sample preparation for TEM and SEM.
The successful candidate will work in the National Centre for Cellular Imaging advanced microscopy facility with:
1) in-house innovative structural biology technologies, with a focus on cryo-EM as a method for novel protein structure determination for challenging targets that are intractable via other structural biology techniques;
2) managing and optimization of the different cryo-EM grid sample preparation for single-particle workflows and cryo-EM screening. The post holder will also be responsible for
3) operation and maintenance of the electron microscope and the equipment for cryo-EM sample preparation, including high pressure freezing, plunge freezing;
4) giving advice on the design of imaging experiments in order to optimize output and research activities;
5) contribute to the implementation of new innovative cryo-EM methods in order to meet with the users’ needs at the CCI, and in collaboration with the single particle Cryo-EM National facility in Stockholm at SciLifeLab ;
6) Guiding core facility users in purification and analysis of single proteins and protein complexes,
7) The post holder will also participate in the teaching of practices/lectures for graduate and undergraduate courses.
Application deadline: 8 June 2018
For additional information please visit the job offer.