The National Centre for Cellular Imaging (CCI) at the Core Facilities, University of Gothenburg, is one of the leading academic imaging facilities in Sweden providing expertise and access to advanced microscopy to the research community, both locally and at other Swedish universities and abroad.
The CCI offers high-end microscopy techniques for researchers in the various fields of life sciences and biomedicine, but also chemistry, physics, material science. The equipment includes six scanning (confocal and multiphoton) microscopes, laser microdissection microscope, a super-resolution microscope designed for imaging with structured illumination and single-molecule localization microscopy modalities, the Airyscan with the fast module, as well as a scanning and a transmission electron microscope. The scientific staff at the CCI assists researchers in the experimental designing and planning of microscopy experiments and provides the in-depth training for the operation of the microscopes, sample preparation and for specific imaging techniques. Additionally, support is provided in the processing, rendering and analysis of the acquired datasets.
The CCI is now seeking for a dynamic and talented Bioimage Analyst to engage with the Centre in addressing a wide range of exciting scientific questions using data from light electron microscopy. The Image Analyst will support all aspects of image analysis, from experimental design, to the interpretation and presentation of data. This will include training users and working with projects requiring the development of more sophisticated image analysis tools.
The successful candidate will work in the National Centre for Cellular Imaging advanced microscopy facility with the tasks of:
1) Designing and implementing tools for image analysis and processing using ImageJ/Fiji, Icy, Matlab, Python etc.
2) Set-up advanced workflows and write scripts for e.g. image segmentation, quantify intracellular protein distribution, pattern recognition, multi-spectral imaging, tracking of dynamic particles, etc.
3) Work with scientists for writing/implementing algorithms for solving image processing/analysis problems from multidimensional datasets acquired using confocal or super-resolution microscopy.
4) Improve existing tools (computing speed, user interface, creating workflows), interact with the university IT department and manage the computing resources of the facility.
5) Provide and perform adequate statistical analysis.
6) Train scientists in the use of available and custom Bioimage Analysis tools and make tutorials.
8) The post holder will also participate in the teaching of practices/lectures in the context of graduate and undergraduate courses.
We are seeking an ambitious and service-oriented team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. The suitable candidate should hold University degree (Master, PhD), engineering school or equivalent degree with a strong specialization in image processing and analysis and/or information technology/signal processing. The candidate should be familiar with several scientific programming languages. Proven experience in the development of tools to process and analyzes multidimensional fluorescence microscopy datasets using open-source packages (ImageJ/Fiji, etc.) and Matlab is a requirement. Knowledge and experience of Python or other languages and frameworks, as well as Machine Learning/Deep Learning frameworks, is a plus. The candidate should be willing to expand his/her knowledge in new microscopy techniques and be ready to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment. Prior experience of working in a microscopy facility is a plus. Ability to manage workload and structure the work with short timelines, with good communication in English and organizational skills are essential. We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a research background who combines technical expertise with strong communication skills, who has a strong will to aid other researcher in their work, but also the motivation to work independently.
The position is full time permanent position with placement in Core Facilities. Date of starting the position is set to as soon as possible or as agreed.
For further information:
For more information, please contact Julia Fernandez-Rodriguez, email@example.com.
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg: http://www.gu.se/english/about_the_university/job-opportunities/union-representatives
How to apply
In order to apply for a position at the University of Gothenburg, you have to register an account in our online recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline 2018-07-17. The selection of candidates is made on the basis of the qualifications registered in the application.
Please attach the following in the application:
*include a cover/motivation letter,
* your full CV, list of publications,
* three recent letters of recommendation,
* and a summary of past experience in the fields of image processing and analysis.
Application deadline: 31 July 2018
For additional information please visit the job offer.