|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||2 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||22 October 2019|
One of EMBL’s main missions is conducting world class fundamental research in molecular biology, whilst also considering and responding to urgent societal needs such as fighting climate change and environmental pollution. To this end we are committed to face these current challenges not only via basic research but also via environment-conscious scientific lifestyle and campus development.
We aim to achieve this for example by addressing the topic of carbon neutrality and how EMBL can contribute to it. This will result in various initiatives and projects that cover both life on our campuses and fundamental research. In order to develop, implement and communicate these activities we are looking for a highly motivated candidate to join us as Environmental Officer.
The EMBL Environmental Officer will develop and coordinate initiatives towards reducing our carbon footprint and facilitating environmental protection at the EMBL campuses in close collaboration with the “Green EMBL” working group. The post holder will:
- plan, manage and implement various activities towards “Green EMBL” and coordinate between EMBL sites;
- introduce a new monitoring scheme for air and train travel;
- develop and update travel recommendations for staff;
- lead discussions with different EMBL bodies regarding implementation (finance, facility management, canteen, etc.);
- communicate with, and explain new initiatives to EMBL faculty and staff;
- organize public awareness events such as the world climate day;
- initiate, write, and monitor public outreach and press releases on EMBL environmental projects, or achievements;
- establish and maintain contact to local authorities, governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations to coordinate efforts with other stakeholders;
- implement environmental policies and practices;
- devise the best tools and systems to monitor performance and to implement strategies;
- assess, analyze and collate environmental performance data and report information;
- liaise with internal staff including senior managers and directors;
- act as a focal point for environmental issues within the organization;
- keep up to date with relevant changes in environmental legislation and initiatives including international legislation where applicable.
For additional information please check the job offer.