The Light Microscopy Facility Manager/Director oversees all core facility operations including space, safety, equipment and affiliated software and peripherals, creating accounts, overseeing of usage tracking system, billing, inventory and ordering of supplies, data management, budget, customer satisfaction, and oversight of Keck Facility staff, including a Light Microscopy Imaging Specialist. The manager will perform all duties in accordance with Whitehead Institute’s behavioral standards, mission, values, and vision.
- Provide consultation on experimental design and expert technical assistance to Keck users and Whitehead researchers.
- Orient new users to the facility and facility policies.
- Provide thorough training to users (grad students, post docs, faculty, research staff) in basic microscopy theory and practical operation of equipment.
- Maintain records of use and training and compile reports as needed or requested.
- Ensure timely backup of essential data.
- Prepare, review and revise written training materials, policies and protocols.
- Maintain proper inventory and order supplies.
- Perform weekly and as-needed maintenance of equipment, perform as-needed equipment troubleshooting and facilitate service and repair in a timely manner.
- Interact with vendors and engineers.
- Perform demos and facility tours as needed.
- Prepare yearly budget narrative, including use statistics and cost and billing evaluations
- Remain current with trends, equipment and software in the field through reading, attending seminars, trade shows and visits to other core facilities.
- Attend and participate in one related professional conference on an annual basis.
- Proactively consider ways to improve the facility service and operations to provide the highest quality microscopy support and service to the community. Welcome customer feedback and take follow up action to enhance and improve services as may be needed.
- Other items as deemed necessary by the Faculty oversight, Whitehead administration or Keck staff or deemed beneficial by the Keck Manager.
For additional information please check the job offer.